We summoned the ghost of John Reister and some of his immediate family to recognize some historic Main Street properties that he knew so well.
More than 40 people visited and watched the unveiling of our first six properties' historic plaques February 23rd. The plaques were funded by a grant from Preservation Alliance of Baltimore County and are just the beginning of our celebrating the value of our Main Street.
301-302 Main Street: LANIUS HOUSE c.1798
John Lanius, a miller, came to Reisterstown in 1794 and married Catherine Reister, eldest daughter of John Reister, Jr. they built this house on the property belonging to her father and were deeded the land in 1811. The federal tax records of 1798 describe the house as: one brick dwelling house, two story, unfinished, 50 x24, 40 perches.
237-239 Main Street: JAMES THOMAS STORE c. 1833
James Thomas, a successful Reisterstown merchant moved his "dwelling and store room" to this lot in 1833. He was engaged in manufacturing of brick, and dealt in almost everything from groceries to building materials and farm equipment.
225-227 Main Street: JAMES THOMAS HOUSE C. 1835
Two and one half story brick house that has a one story frame shop attached. This style of building was a common practice in a time when shops were attached to the proprietor's dwelling.
230 Main Street: GRACE METHODIST CHURCH PARSONAGE c. 1865
Two story frame house of Gothic revival style built as a parsonage. Rebecca Stocksdale and Rebecca Whalen, relatives of John Reister, donated the parsonage to the Grace Methodist Church - South
238 Main Street: REISTER HOUSE c. 1780
Two story brick house built by John Reister. The small size of the oldest section and absence of a front doorway suggests that it was an addition to the earlier house which was replace by the present hall and north room.
234 Main Street: REISTER HOUSE c. 1777
One of the oldest houses in Reisterstown. A two story log house with a kitchen wing behind it. The land was part of the original Reister's Desire tract owned by John Reister and conveyed to his son Phillip who lived here with his wife and six children.
- Created on .
- Last updated on .